Sunday, June 28, 2009

Sunday Mornings

Sunday mornings were always my favorites growing up. We used to go to the First Presbyterian Church in Morrisville for the 9 a.m. service. Afterwards, we would go to the bakery and get some kind of insanely delicious fresh pastry and go home and enjoy it. For lunch, we would go to my grandparents' house to see my aunts, uncles, and cousins while we enjoyed my grandmother's homemade spaghetti sauce. If a person had to work on Sunday, then my grandmother made a special fuss over that person and let them eat first and pampered them a little more than the rest of us. Sometimes, I had to work. I was a lifeguard at the Morrisville Community Swimming Pool--not hard work, but it did last most of the day and into the evening. I think we opened at 1 p.m. on Sundays. Morrisville has fallen on hard times and no longer has a pool, or even much in the way of schools anymore. The town can't really afford to support itself. Even the Presbyterian church has begun laying off staff to beat this tough economy. Still, Sundays are great days for starting the week, for starting fresh with church, good food, and family.

No comments:

Post a Comment